Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Waiting for Nothing

If you are a big fan of the Birkin and have been trying to get your hands on one (or two), then get this: Hermès, apparently, never really had a waiting list for this elusive and covetable bag. It was all but a marketing ploy. Why am I not surprised?!
Yes, the bag that Victoria what's - her-face has in every colour. She obviously didn't have to wait for any of them.  I don't know how many of you out there have read  'Bringing Home the Birkin' by Michael Tonello, but in the book, Michael shattered the myth of the 2 year waiting list. 


In a telephone interview to Reuters, Michael said:

"I would go into a store with a list in my Hermes Ulysse notebook and pile up scarves, shawls, bracelets, worth about $2,000. This made me seem a regular Hermes client. Once I had that pile ready to buy, at the last moment I'd ask for a Birkin and they would usually produce one from the back room. In 2005, I bought 130 Birkins in a three-month period -- and you tell me there is a waiting list?"
Hermès has made no official comment regarding this matter. Yet.

Check out Michael's book here: http://www.bringinghomethebirkin.com/

the inspiration for the bag, Jane Birkin

Something fun to do! Make your own Hermès Collier de Chien bracelet here: http://lesailes.hermes.com/us/en/
(On the 'les ailes d' Hermès' page, browse and look for 'I want it, I'll have it' and click on it )

No comments:

Post a Comment